I've enrolled but have changed my mind; what should I do?

There is a 14-day cooling-off period after you have enrolled, you will have received the cancellation of enrolment form with your enrolment instructions. Please complete this form and send it to SDMenquiries@bolton.ac.uk as soon as possible. Late submissions of the cancellation of enrolment form can result in you being charged, regardless of whether you have attended classes.

If you would like to speak to someone before you submit your cancellation, you can contact your Programme Leader for advice. If you are unsure who your programme leader is, please visit our course search our Subject Areas page and search for your course, you will find the Programme Leader's contact details under the programme contacts section near the bottom of the page. Alternatively, our Student Services Team offers a range of support services that may be able to help you, you can find details of the support services available on our Student Support page.

You can find out more about our application and admissions processes at our Application and Admissions page. Alternatively, you can call us on 01204 903 394 or email Admissions-team@bolton.ac.uk.

What is #UniAsItShouldBe? A University that puts its students and their needs first through a supportive learning environment. Welcome to the University of Bolton.