Thinking About Joining Us
Learn More About Our Courses
- Access Courses and Fast Track Routes
- Animation and Illustration
- Art & Design and Fine Art
- Motorsport and Automotive Performance Engineering
- Biomedical and Medical Engineering
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering
- Community Development and Youth Work
- English and Creative Writing
- Crime and Criminal Justice
- Dental Technology
- Early Years and Childhood Studies
- Education and Teacher Training
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Fashion and Textiles
- Graphic Design
- Theatre and Performance
- Health and Social Care
- Sport, Sport Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media and Photography
- Clinical Practice and Biomedical Science
- Film FX
- Social Work
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Special Effects and Make-Up
- Visual FX
- Sports Development and Coaching
- Medical Biology
- Paramedic Science
- Professional Practice
- Creative Industries
Support for New and Current Students
- Graduation Ceremony
- Academic Dress and Photography
- Award Information
- Special requirements, information for students and guests.
- Travel Information
- International Students and Visitor Visas
- How to contact the Graduation Team
- Booking and Tickets
- Dates of 2023 Graduation Ceremonies
- Covid 19 Information
- Where is the Graduation Ceremony?
- Closed Doors Policy
Grants for first-generation students
First generation grants are offered if your child is the first person in the family who is going to university. It is to provide additional financial support, guide you through the application process, and to help with the whole process of going to university, since it can be difficult to know what it entails if you have not experienced that before.
The overarching idea is to encourage wider participation and increase accessibility for the UK's younger generation, so no matter the circumstances and hardships there will be financial support through student finance and additional financial support. There may also be additional funds for hardship or other circumstances available, so it is always worth enquiring with the Student Funding Team to see what is available.
Such funds are also to support the student learning experience, since many students take part-time work while studying for financial reasons or to gain experience. Students can however sometimes feel the need to overwork and loose some focus on their studies if they feel under pressure.
You can find more information about First Generation Funds on the UK Government Website. Additionally, other scholarship database resources will be good to explore with keywords such as '1st generation in family' or first in family'.
Alternatively, chat with our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.
Or book onto one of our Open Days or Course Advice Days to find out more and speak with the team.
We're delighted to be No. 1 in the North West for Teaching Quality (The Times and Sunday Times, Good University Guide 2021), and for the past 5 years, we have been voted No.1 for Student Satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2021, North West).