Do you have to study for a Master's before starting a PhD?

Thank you for your enquiry about postgraduate study at the University of Bolton.

A Master's degree, or its international equivalent, is often required for entry onto a PhD. Please check the information for your subject area of interest at our Research Programmes page or to enquire about entry with international qualifications please contact

You can also chat to our staff directly every Wednesday from 2pm - 4pm and periodically throughout the working week.

Alternatively, chat to our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.

Or book onto one of our Open Days or Course Advice Days to find out more and speak with the team.

We offer a variety of exciting postgraduate courses, including Game Changers bursaries for Postgraduate Professional Development, and Postgraduate Specialism courses to tailor degrees to your expertise, supporting your career ambitions. Visit our master's Game Changers page for more details.