Parents and Carers

About Higher Education and How to Contact Us

Choosing to study at university is a big step, and a lot has changed so fast that it's not an experience that everyone is familiar with, including parents and carers who are helping to guide and support the young people in their family.

If this is the case, or even if you have studied at university before, then you will still likely be considering similar things. Such as what courses have to offer in the current climate, safety, the student experience, career prospects, how funding works, and how your child going to university will affect you too, for example. 

We know that it is sometimes difficult to find clear information, and so we would like to help you to understand more about the decision, what it entails, and what information and support are available as parents/carers.

We'll help you to understand key terms, know the key dates, and understand what's new in the sector so that you can best support the young people in your family life. 

To get started, here's an explainer from the University of Bolton's Greater Manchester Higher Team (GHM) who are supporting, advising, and educating the young people of Greater Manchester about the various pathways available in and out of the traditional university environment.

Book onto one of our Open Days or Course Advice Days to find out more and speak with the team.

Please explore the Parents Outreach Area, or you can get in touch in a variety of ways that suits you.

You can chat with our staff directly every Wednesday from 2 pm - 4 pm and periodically throughout the working week.

Alternatively, chat with our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.

Or book onto one of our Open Days or Course Advice Days to find out more and speak with the team.

What is #UniAsItShouldBe? A University that puts its students and their needs first through a supportive learning environment. Welcome to the University of Bolton.

Please note that consent is required if you are calling on behalf of an applicant, even if it is your child or someone in your care. The applicant will need to let the Undergraduate Team know who is eligible to discuss the application on their behalf by emailing