Thinking About Joining Us
Learn More About Our Courses
- Access Courses and Fast Track Routes
- Animation and Illustration
- Art & Design and Fine Art
- Motorsport and Automotive Performance Engineering
- Biomedical and Medical Engineering
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering
- Community Development and Youth Work
- English and Creative Writing
- Crime and Criminal Justice
- Dental Technology
- Early Years and Childhood Studies
- Education and Teacher Training
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Fashion and Textiles
- Graphic Design
- Theatre and Performance
- Health and Social Care
- Sport, Sport Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media and Photography
- Clinical Practice and Biomedical Science
- Film FX
- Social Work
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Special Effects and Make-Up
- Visual FX
- Sports Development and Coaching
- Medical Biology
- Paramedic Science
- Professional Practice
- Creative Industries
Support for New and Current Students
- Graduation Ceremony
- Academic Dress and Photography
- Award Information
- Special requirements, information for students and guests.
- Travel Information
- International Students and Visitor Visas
- How to contact the Graduation Team
- Booking and Tickets
- Dates of 2023 Graduation Ceremonies
- Covid 19 Information
- Where is the Graduation Ceremony?
- Closed Doors Policy
What skills will I learn on the Film Fx courses?
Here at the University of Bolton we use have a range of different equipment and software for students to allow them to learn and strengthen their skills for the Film FX industry. Our courses are made up of lots of live project work, working with briefs and group work. Students are able to develop through the use of various different software commonly found in the industry:
• Autodesk Maya for 3D work
• The Foundry’s Nuke and Mari for compositing and digital painting
• ZBrush for digital sculpting
• Houdini for technical effects and dynamics
On the various courses offered for Film FX you will be able to take advantage of moulding rooms, 3D print studio, and 3D model making workshop, specialist make-up studios and Cintiq studios to allow your portfolios to stand out from other universities. Many graduates have used their skills developed here to work for production teams such as Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and many more.
To hear from some of our past students you can visit the testimonials section found at the bottom of our course pages. If you have any other enquiries regarding this course you can contact the Film FX Team to discuss these further. Their contact details can be found at the bottom of the specific course page by searching for the subject area.
Alternatively, chat with our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.
At the University of Bolton, we understand our students have different requirements and we pride ourselves on the positive and supportive learning environment we provide. Being voted No. 1 for Student Satisfaction for the past three years (Complete University Guide, North West) is a testament to our approach.