Thinking About Joining Us
Learn More About Our Courses
- Access Courses and Fast Track Routes
- Animation and Illustration
- Art & Design and Fine Art
- Motorsport and Automotive Performance Engineering
- Biomedical and Medical Engineering
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering
- Community Development and Youth Work
- English and Creative Writing
- Crime and Criminal Justice
- Dental Technology
- Early Years and Childhood Studies
- Education and Teacher Training
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Fashion and Textiles
- Graphic Design
- Theatre and Performance
- Health and Social Care
- Sport, Sport Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
- Mechanical Engineering
- Media and Photography
- Clinical Practice and Biomedical Science
- Film FX
- Social Work
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Special Effects and Make-Up
- Visual FX
- Sports Development and Coaching
- Medical Biology
- Paramedic Science
- Professional Practice
- Creative Industries
Support for New and Current Students
- Graduation Ceremony
- Academic Dress and Photography
- Award Information
- Special requirements, information for students and guests.
- Travel Information
- International Students and Visitor Visas
- How to contact the Graduation Team
- Booking and Tickets
- Dates of 2023 Graduation Ceremonies
- Covid 19 Information
- Where is the Graduation Ceremony?
- Closed Doors Policy
What is required in my portfolio for Games courses?
For Games Art, we typically expect to see a portfolio that demonstrates creativity and good artistic eye with regards to 2D and/or 3D art, sketchbooks and life drawing can also be included.
For Games Design, we would expect to see a portfolio with examples of levels or puzzles you have designed, or games that you have created using any software. If possible, it would be great if these are uploaded to websites such as www.itch.io so we can play them! If you are involved in any modding communities or other extra-curricular activities related to Games then please feel free to include these. If you don't have a portfolio, then please do still apply, all of our Games courses are taught from beginner level so we will be happy to speak with you about your interests and academic background to see if our Games courses would be suitable for you.
There is no specific format to a portfolio, however, you could see our other FAQ resources for guidance, or contact a Programme Leader for further information, their contact details can be found at the bottom of the specific course page by searching the Games subject area.
If you have any other enquiries relating to this you can contact the Games Team to discuss, their contact details can be found at the bottom of the specific course page by searching the Games subject area.
Alternatively, chat with our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.
At the University of Bolton, we understand our students have different requirements and we pride ourselves on the positive and supportive learning environment we provide. Being voted No. 1 for Student Satisfaction for the past three years (Complete University Guide, North West) is a testament to our approach.
We are proud of our work on-campus to ensure our students can enjoy #UniAsItShouldBe, COVID-secure.