Disability Services

I am an international/EU student and I have evidence of a disability or a specific learning difficulty but it is not written in English is that ok?

In order for us to consider your support fully, we require the evidence of your disability written and translated into English. It is your responsibility to get your evidence translated into English with a reputable translation service and you will be responsible for the cost of the translation.

Please contact the Disability Team for more information on 01204 903 478 or email: disabilityinfo@bolton.ac.uk, more information can also be found on our student support page.

You can also chat with our staff directly every Wednesday from 2 pm - 4 pm and periodically throughout the working week.

Alternatively, chat with our current students who will be able to share this information with you and any other course-related queries.

Or book onto one of our Open Days or Course Advice Days to find out more and speak with the team.

The University of Bolton award-winning Student Services Team ensure students needs and requirements are supported, so they can enjoy #UniAsItShouldBe.

We are proud of our work on-campus to ensure our students can enjoy #UniAsItShouldBe, COVID-secure.